Sodium Sulphate Plants Technology
Desmet Ballestra offers plants with proprietary technology developed in cooperation with Marchi Industriale and based on Manheim process. The process is based on the endothermic reaction between H2SO4 and NaCl that takes place under temperature control in the Mannheim furnace. With Na2SO4 production is associated the production of hydrochloric acid (HCl) solutions with commercial concentration, obtained by quenching and absorbing the gas released during the reaction in multi stages absorption towers.
Advantages of DBI-Marchi design compared to Manheim standard design
DBI-Marchi introduced several improvements in the combustion chamber design, granting a better heat transfer from combustion chamber to reaction chamber, a preferable temperature distribution and more efficient insulation. Moreover, the material selection for combustion chamber and reaction chamber has been improved, leading to longer lifecycle for wear parts
The overall advantages of DBI-Marchi design are:
- lower consumption of fuel;
- longer life of wear parts reducing operational costs;
- shorter shut-down time for the wear parts substitution.
- higher plant productivity and profitability.
Sodium sulphate is mainly used as filler and handling-aid additive for detergents.
Hydrochloric acid has profitable and widely varied uses as:
- raw material in several industrial chemical processes;
- ion-exchange resin regeneration;
- urban and industrial waste water treatment;
- production of Chloro dioxide; • production of drugs for an agricultural use;
- production of starch derivative in the food industry;
- production of printed circuits.